Saturday, July 07, 2007

Mileage woes

I currently need 3562 miles (by 30 Sep 2007) to qualify for KrisFlyer Elite Silver status, which essentially allows me to accumulate 25% extra miles on subsequent flights. I'd initially thought this could be earned by a trip to Tokyo via Thai Airways (which is part of Star Alliance), but apparently I'll need 4500 Thai Airways miles (the round trip to Tokyo is only 3973 miles) to qualify, since it's not a 1:1 exchange ratio. I was thinking of taking an SIA flight to Penang to make up for the shortcoming, but even that narrowly misses the mark.

Essentially, I'm actually really close to qualifying for the Elite Silver status, but probably won't, which is really somewhat of a pity, since I'm probably shuttling between Europe and Asia quite extensively next year (and could really benefit from the 25% increase).

I might end up flying the Singapore-Tokyo-Bangkok-Singapore route via SIA, which is enough to earn me the upgrade, but that costs $1343 (as opposed to $807 by Thai Airways) and the $500 price difference seems a hefty price to pay for Elite Silver, a direct flight to Japan (as opposed to a stopover in Bangkok via Thai Airways), and probably improved in-flight entertainment. Haiyah. Decisions, decisions...

No comments: