Sunday, October 07, 2007

Satay Bee Hoon

This, my friends, is satay bee hoon.



I've found that somehow, among the Singaporean (Malaysian? Not too sure if it's available across the causeway as well) dishes, this seems to be one of the least familiar. A lot of my friends haven't ever eaten it, for some reason, though I think it's pretty good.

It's not very elaborate - simply boiled bee hoon (thin rice noodles) with cuttlefish, tau pok (some beancurdy thing), pork and some other stuff, drenched in satay sauce (the peanut sauce usually served the skewered barbecued meat), from which it presumably derives its name.



Yesterday I was at Lagoon Food Centre (the hawker centre at East Coast Park) and queued up for more than half an hour for the satay bee hoon there.

Frankly it's not something I would do frequently, since I seldom have the patience and usually reason that the food, though good, is probably not worth the wait, but I have a special fondness for this particular stall because my parents used to bring us here back when I was a kid, probably more than 15 years ago, probably 2 (or more) renovations ago for the food centre. It was kinda the weekend meal - satay bee hoon, some sticks of satay, and some fresh coconuts. After which the kids would be deposited at the beach to play with sand while the adults went to take a walk or something.

It's nice to see that even in ever-developing Singapore, there are some things which don't simply disappear.

1 comment:

Jean said...

I've eaten satay beehoon lots before! :) 'cuz my mom loves it. I think it's one of the many, many types of food in Singapore you can totally miss out on ('cuz, simply, there're so many other things) or grow up with - and ultimately this depends on your parents' preferences and diet! I never knew giam3 he2 (salted fish) until I went to York and saw Cui cooking it!