Friday, January 25, 2008

Gone Baby Gone



Having been wowed by Mystic River a few years back, I was quite excited to find out that another of Dennis Lehane's books had been brought to the big screen. Intriguingly enough it's also Ben Affleck's directorial debut, I'm not that big a fan of his acting but I did like Good Will Hunting (which he co-wrote) quite a bit.

I really liked it. It starts off quite slowly and I was getting a little bored in the first hour, but after the closure of the first case things really got going. I won't go too deeply into the plot, since letting it unfold slowly is probably quite critical in appreciating this film, but I really liked the moral ambiguities introduced. The tagline sums it up quite nicely, actually. Everyone wants the truth... until they find it.

I might start looking for Lehane's books to read. Apparently Gone Baby Gone is the fourth book (out of five, currently) involving Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro, the private investigators featured in the movie. His yarns seem to be pretty good... another book of his, Shutter Island, is currently in the works as a Scorsese film.

No comments: